Upgrading Firmware from 2.02RC3 to 2.05.1

• Hi,

Having been appropriately admonished by Phaedrux for attempting to get a machine going using an old version of the firmware I thought I ought to update my maestro from 2.02RC3 to 2.05.1 which I found on the github page and downloaded(DuetFirmware-2.05.1). On unzipping I discovered the zip included .bin for Duet2, Duetmaestro and Duet wifi. I assume that install process knows which one to install.

My questions are in the readme on github it implies that all one needs to do is upload the zip file using the upload button and then let it do its business. This would appear to be at variance with https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Installing_and_Updating_Firmware. Am I correct in the belief that the Github instructions are the most recent and correct?

I wasn't clear if the config.g file needed changing so I did a creation of .g files using the configuration tool and that generated an identical config.g file except for an additional line M584 X0 Y1 Z2 E3. While I can understand how that is constructed, and despite having read the g code wiki, why do I need this line?

If I'm not to be admonished again I will in the future need to look to version 3... Clearly there are massive changes to the g files and as far as I can see this wasn't available in the configuration tool. Is that correct?

Finally if I decide to get very brave is DuetWebControl-1.22.6 the correct firmware for a Duet 0.6?

@sinnedwrong

My questions are in the readme on github it implies that all one needs to do is upload the zip file using the upload button and then let it do its business.

Yes, you should be able to do that. Though it will update the DWC to 2.0.7 as well.

This would appear to be at variance with https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Installing_and_Updating_Firmware. Am I correct in the belief that the Github instructions are the most recent and correct?

You can upload just the DuetMaestroFirmware.bin file if you prefer, and only the firmware will be updated.

I wasn't clear if the config.g file needed changing

A working 2.03 config should work fine in 2.05.1.

an additional line M584 X0 Y1 Z2 E3. ... why do I need this line?

You don't in RRF 2.x if that's how your axes are set up, as this is the default mapping. However, you do need it in RRF 3.x. The configuration tool puts it in for clarity/good practice.

If I'm not to be admonished again I will in the future need to look to version 3... Clearly there are massive changes to the g files and as far as I can see this wasn't available in the configuration tool. Is that correct?

You should be able to create config files in the configuration tool for Duet 2 Maestro. On the 'General' page under 'Firmware version' choose '3.0 or later (stable)'. If you can generate a working config direct from the tool for 2.05.1, it should create a working config for 3.x.

Finally if I decide to get very brave is DuetWebControl-1.22.6 the correct firmware for a Duet 0.6?

RepRapFirmware.bin (from the 2.05.1 release) is the correct file for Duet 0.6 (and 0.85), and is firmware 1.26.1. The file you mention is the last v1 DWC available. You should be able to run DWC versions up to 3.2 on it; I tested this the other day!

Ian

Admonished with the utmost affection! 😉

I should have included a few links along with it to ease the transition.

Here's a step by step for going from a very old firmware to the most recent.
    https://forum.duet3d.com/post/181946

And here's a few links for updating a very old Duet in case you decide to update that one as well.
    https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/16356/a-total-minefield-for-a-newbie/7

@sinnedwrong said in Upgrading Firmware from 2.02RC3 to 2.05.1:

it implies that all one needs to do is upload the zip file using the upload button and then let it do its business.

That would be the prefered way whenever possible as it's the most easy and error proof. The other methods are now mostly legacy or fallback methods.