NodeDSF : Interface nodes for Node-Red + DWC plugin (NEW V1.1).

• I have been working on a side-project / plugin for a while called NodeDSF. There is the mandatory crappy youtube video showcasing some of what you do with it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JZ-lblt5w.

In summary, it is a set of custom nodes for Node-red which interface with DSF (on SBC) and enable you to create your own event driven actions.

There is also a plugin for DWC which allows you to embed simple node-red dashboards into DWC.

The project is here : https://github.com/MintyTrebor/NodeDSF.

It's only just been made available today, so assume it has bugs etc (so far it has a test user base of 1😆 ).

I have attempted to write a wiki and included some examples on github.

I hope its of use!

**V1.1 Update - Connect to Duet boards directly **
    I have enabled a new experimental Duet mode which enables a direct connection to Duet control boards (v2/3) running firmware v3+, so you can now choose to connect to DSF on an SBC, or Duet board directly. (I have only tested this on a Duet v2 ethernet board, but it should work for the other versions). Non Duet boards (eg LPC) with onboard wifi modules will not work due to session limitations; An SBC with DSF is still required for these boards.
    The plugin remains an SBC only option.

• @MintyTrebor said in NodeDSF : DSF interface nodes for Node-Red + DWC plugin [SBC].:

https://github.com/MintyTrebor/NodeDSF

Fantastic work!

I am working on a custom filament feeder system for a large format printer and was thinking I was going to need a PLC to do the filament changing. This will work perfectly using the RPI running Node Red and integrate to the printer.

It will be a few weeks before I will be up and running but I will add it to my list of stuff to setup, but I'm sure this is going to really make a difference in my application.

Thanks!

• Well, I couldn't resist trying this out. I said a few weeks and I didnt make it 24 hours. LOL Here are my observations.

This is on a fresh system sitting on my bench still. It is not connected to any hardware yet.

Duet 3 6HC mainboard connected to and powered from a 4GB RPI 4 running DuetPi-Lite. I installed node red and tested it out to work. I installed the node-red-contrib-dsfnode module. No trouble so far.

I went to import the example flows, thats where I had a few small stumbles. I had to install
    node-red-contrib-uibuilder, node-red-dashboard and node-red-contrib-fs-ops in order to have the flows deploy without error. While I figured it out rather quickly, this info may be useful on the readme of the examples.

I tested the dashboard UI and I have the BL touch, Timelapse and my own System Control pages working.

Next, I tried to install the DWC plugin. This is where I'm stuck at currently. I upload the zip file as instructed, and it asks to install. I select yes and thats the end of it. No plugin appears in the list, and nothing else is displayed that I can see, but I'm rather new to DWC.

Im not sure where I should go from here, but I can provide logs if you tell me what to look for.

=== Diagnostics ===
    RepRapFirmware for Duet 3 MB6HC version 3.2 running on Duet 3 MB6HC v1.01 or later (SBC mode)

• @adamj12b I suspect you may not have read the installation wiki pages 😉 ...

You should review the node-red installation wiki page, it covers the additional nodes for the examples, plus also covers enabling node-red persistence which is required for some of the example flows.

Once installed the DWC plugin has to be enabled by going into the machine specific-plugins section. The plugin installation page in the wiki covers this. If the option to enable the plugin is missing then that may be an issue. Let me know. (FYI: plugins included with DWC by duet are in general settings-plugins, 3rd party plugins you add manually are in machine specific-plugins)

• @MintyTrebor said in NodeDSF : DSF interface nodes for Node-Red + DWC plugin [SBC].:

@adamj12b I suspect you may not have read the installation wiki pages 😉 ...

You should review the node-red installation wiki page, it covers the additional nodes for the examples, plus also covers enabling node-red persistence which is required for some of the example flows.

Once installed the DWC plugin has to be enabled by going into the machine specific-plugins section. The plugin installation page in the wiki covers this. If the option to enable the plugin is missing then that may be an issue. Let me know. (FYI: plugins included with DWC by duet are in general settings-plugins, 3rd party plugins you add manually are in machine specific-plugins)

My apologies. I should have slowed down and RTFM... Im a little trigger happy with all this awesome new gear to play with. 🤣

Just as the instructions said, I needed to enable it under machine specific plugins. I was looking under general.

I got it all fixed up and set up my ui to match. (I cannot seem to insert a pic, so here is a link)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AnP76QX6w_wCXPlr4XphrErpV0kxe_Rv/view?usp=sharing

I will report back once I actually get some hardware connected and doing something.

• @adamj12b Glad you got it working.

If you have not done so already, I would recommend enabling node-red persistence (its required for the time-lapse flow) as described in the node-red installation section of the wiki.

• I have updated the nodes to V1.1 with a new experimental feature which allows connection to Duet boards directly - no SBC+DSF required! (see edited first post for details).