DuetWebControl allows auto bed compensation with an active tool

• I'm using the Duet2 Wifi in my E3D Toolchanger. One thing that has caused me trouble in DuetWebControl is that the button for Auto Bed Compensation.

28723db6-43a2-4237-87db-f20949dc03f1-image.png

Immediately triggers the measurement process with no confirmation or warning. Usually this is fine, however if you happen to have a tool active and your probe is on the gantry not the tool it will almost certainly result in a severe crash (as it will on the E3D Toolchanger) since the tool sits lower than the probe.

Unfortunately I've managed to hit that button twice now when I was trying to hit the down arrow for the dropdown and misclicked which triggered the measurement and as I had a tool active crashed the bed (and bent my Z-axis leadscrew in the process).

Is there a way to prevent this? From what I understand the button just triggers a G29 call so there is no script to edit to add a tool drop off command to. Obviously if I am manually entering Gcode I'm on my own but for a button that can be easily mis-clicked in the UI that triggers a process like this it feels like a confirmation would be a good idea, particularly if there is an active tool.

Or am I missing an easy way to prevent this?

• I too have wanted g29 to behave like g32 does and call a seperate macro like bed.g instead.

I wonder if this would work.. for gcode commands that don't exist you can create a macro with the gcode as the name and when you call that gcode the macro gets executed. So I wonder if you created a macro called g29 it would call that instead. Then you can specify what you want to happen in there.

• The issue with that approach is that you cannot pass parameters to macros. So it would only be useful for operations where the gcode doesn’t need any parameters.

• It looks like DuetWebControl 2.x.x has partially addressed this by moving the G29 option into the menu itself, so it’s less likely to press accidentally now.

I think I should still throw up a confirmation if a tool is active though. I’ll definitely check things out in 2.x.x though since I haven’t been using it yet.

• administrators

Could you solve this by having a deployprobe.g file that contains a T-1 command?

• That sounds like the right solution. I will try it out when back at my printer. Is there a comprehensive list of all supported system .g files somewhere?

Would that then also solve the issue of homing Z doing the same thing? I would guess so, the only thing I am wondering is whether this works when using the endstop as the probe.