Suggestion to add to where the 'Webcam Surveillance' is located

• I've been using Octoprint for some time (several years on my Rep1+Sailfish & custom coreXY+RADDS/RRF). For about half a year now I've been using the Duet Web Control with my Tevo Little Monster / Duet conversion, and it's been great. In fact preferred to Octoprint. But great within the confines of my local home network.

Just today, I figured out how to both pipe my Raspberry Pi webcam to the DWC, and how to port forward the Duet (with password) to the web, just like Octoprint: I can now remotely (over the web) view/control my Duet prints, super awesome.

Suggestion : When viewing the DWC over my PC, or my phone, the "Webcam Surveillance" section is in the "Print Status" tab: It's completely detached from the buttons that control the printer motion itself: Suggestion to duplicate this view into the "Machine Control" section, so that I can both remotely see what the toolhead is doing, and control it from the same menus

Tip for anyone else who experienced this problem: While I could see the webcam stream fine from my pc, I had to include the 'http://' to the webcam address on my phone's DWC, or i'd just get a broken link symbol on that page. My PC's DWC didn't require that extra bit of text.

• Until this gets incorporated in the web interface, or just in case it never does, try this:

1. Power off the Duet, and put the SD card from the Duet in a computer where you can edit things.

2. Find the '/www' directory and the file 'reprap.htm.gz'

NOTE: You will have to "un-gz" the file. Macs or Linux have utilities for this built in; on Winders (Texas edition of Windows) 7-Zip is one of several ways.

1. Open the file in your favorite text editor (that can deal with unix line ends). The screen shots are from 'sublime text', which I HIGHLY recommend on any platform.

2. Find "Webcam Survelliance". Copy the lines that are highlighted in this picture. (Yes, this misses a closing </div>, we will get that later).

0_1526934385030_Webcam Code.PNG

1. Find "User-Defined Macros". This will get you very near where you need to insert the block of code. Paste/Insert on the blank line between the two big blocks of 'div' tags. In my picture, line 1169. (Your line numbers may vary).

0_1526934259926_Insert Here.PNG

1. Add a closing '</div>' tag, just below what you pasted.

2. Save the file, re-gz compress it, and replace it in the /www directory on the SD, replace in Duet, and power up.

That's it, you now have your webcam on your machine status page.

NOTE: One oddity of copying this code is that things end up named the same. Therefore, the Webcam sub-window can only be expanded/collapsed from the Print Status page (it will open/close both).

• 0_1526935069195_Results.PNG

• And, of course, you don't really have to edit from the SD. You can "unpack" a zip of the web interface, do the edits, "pack it back up" and upload it the regular way.

That's just a little more complex, because there are '.gz' files embedded in zips, sometimes in sub-directories of zips, and it is easy to get lost.

Still, you should know the option exists.

• Sorcery! 🙂
    Great tip, I'll give that a shot.

However, this would have to be repeated any time I did a DWC update, right?

• @ak-eric said in Suggestion to add to where the 'Webcam Surveillance' is located:

However, this would have to be repeated any time I did a DWC update, right?

Correct. Hopefully, Christian Hammacher will include it. Seems easy enough. If not, yep, you'd have to tweak it after every update.

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.