Firmware update from 1.10 to 1.2x
I have a questions related to update of my Duet 0.85 firmware as well as DuetWebControl.
My 3d printer has a Duet board with old firmware (see below information) because I have never updated it. Today I would like to install latest and stable revision.
Current information about my printer software from DuetWebControl :
Firmware Name: RepRapFirmware
Firmware Version: 1.10+4 (2016-03-30)
Web Interface Version: HTML: 1.11, JS: 1.11
Two weeks ago I found instruction (https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Installing_and_Updating_Firmware#Section_Updating_more_than_one_firmware_at_a_time) how to perform firmware update but I did not find clear information how the process shall be done in my case.
Could you please help me to answer following questions?
- Shall I update the soft directly from my current version to latest (e.g. 1.21) or maybe should I make the update in few steps -> update to e.g. 1.18 and then to 1.21.?
- In the instruction I attached above for some cases (e.g. for “Upgrading a Duet WiFi to firmware 1.19 or later from 1.18.2 or earlier”) it is required to write some gcode commends. What about my case, shall I write some codes during update?
Thank you in advanced for your help.
The special instructions for crossing from firmware 1.18 to 1.19 only apply to the Duet WiFi.
To upgrade from 1.10 to 1.22 I suggest you:
- Backup your complete SD contents. Even better, get another SD card to use with the new firmware.
- Make sure you have a copy of your 1.10 firmware binary in case you want to revert.
- Read the Upgrade Notes sections for version 1.22 and all the versions that you will skip at https://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware/blob/dev/WHATS_NEW.md to see what changes you may need to make to config.g, your homing files, and other files such as resume.g
- You will definitely need to upgrade Duet Web Control at the same time. So delete or rename the old /www folder on your new SD card, create a new one, and extract the contents of the new DuetWebControl.zip file to it.
- After upgrading the firmware and connecting DWC, test your machine very carefully, perhaps at lower than normal motor current initially.
Note, some Duet 0.8.5 firmware versions from 1.19.2 onwards didn't boot with Ethernet connected unless you set a static IP address, but this is believed fixed in firmware 1.22.
thanks for detailed explanation to my questions.
According you your suggestion I will definetelly use a new SD card.
Could you please write how to make a backup of my current firmware (second point in your post).
Have you a copy of the 1.10 firmware binary that you are currently running, perhaps in the Downloads area on your PC? If not then you will need to look a long way back in GitHub history for the 1.10 binary.