Stepper motors and Duet 2 - Duet X2 compatibility

• Hello,

I need your advise.
    I am building the rat rig v-core v2 and I have purchased from rat rig 3 generic stepper motors to use them on the three z-axis of the v-core. I have seen that the power rating of these stepper motors is 2.5A per phase.
    The technical specs are the following:

Technical info:
    -Manufacturer: LDO
    -Model: LDO-42STH47
    -Holding Torque: 5.5 kg/cm - 76oz-in
    -Shaft: 5mm
    -Voltage rating: 3.1V
    -Stepping angle:1.8 degrees
    -Current rating: 2.5A/Phase
    -Connector type: JST PH-6

I have a duet 2 Ethernet and a duet x2 to use with the v-core and I have seen that duet can handle
    “Each stepper driver is capable of 2.8A motor current, currently limited in software to 2.4A”.

Do you think that I can use these stepper motors with the duet without any issue ?

I am a little confused if I have to multiply the a ampers of the stepper with the 2 phases meaning 5A and to compare with the 2.4 limit of the duet or if the duet is capable to handle these stepper motors.

Thanks a lot for your help
    George

• @gbiski

Hi,

Well you don't set the Duet to the full current of a stepper. I recall that 80% is a starting point but I have started with as little as 50% and increased as needed but I have never needed to exceed 80%

Frederick

• @fcwilt Thanks for your reply. The current limit of 2.4a of the duet is per phase ? Because if not I cannot go over 50% for these stepper motors...

• @gbiski said in Stepper motors and Duet 2 - Duet X2 compatibility:

@fcwilt Thanks for your reply. The current limit of 2.4a of the duet is per phase ? Because if not I cannot go over 50% for these stepper motors...

Well if is not per-phase I've been doing it all wrong.

But, to date, none of my boards have released the "magic smoke".

Frederick