Duet 3 G31 'Heater Number'

• My Duet 3 is throwing an error from G31 command stating

'G31: Cannot set a temperature coefficcient without a valid heater number'

This is for an induction probe that has temperature compensation it doesnt have and doesn't need a heater. I've defined a temperature sensor for it but I can't get past the above error.

New parameter H selects the sensor number to use for temperature compensation when the C and S parameters are used

This is my definition ....

; PINDA - Z-Probe
    M308 S2 P"temp2" Y"thermistor" T100000 B4725 C7.06e-8 ; configure sensor 2 as thermistor on pin temp2
    M558 P5 C"!io5.in" H2 F120 T6000                      ; set Z probe type to switch
    G31 P1 X-57 Y-7 Z2.0 C0.2 S40 H2                      ; set Z probe trigger, offset, trigger height, temperature compensation

So I've defined the sensor as sensor 2 - S2 and allocated it as H2 in the G31 but I get the error. I also get the error if I attach it to a sensor that does have a heater as a test.

I am really struggling with the syntax of these commands, I'm trying to follow examples in dozuki such as this one

M558

Example 2 - old code:

M558 P7 H5 F120 T3000  ; Z probe connected to Z endstop input

New code:

M574 Z0 C"nil" ; no Z endstop switch, free up Z endstop input
    M558 P5 C"zstop" H5 F120 T3000  ; Z probe connected to Z endstop input

But I have absolutely no clue why things like P5 or H5 are used or even why F and T are there, in the examples shown a P7 changes to a P5, H5 is always present - but it isn't clear to me where these values come from and what they represent and I think that's why I'm struggling.

If you add to that the references are clearly relating to inputs on a Duet 2 whilst I'm working on a Duet 3 that uses totally different identification for pins this is getting frustrating.

• https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Gcode#Section_M558_in_RepRapFirmware_Num_3

• M574 Z0 C"nil" should not be needed. As stated, it will free up a pin... that should not be assigned in your config.g. However, it does not hurt anything, so you can leave it while we work on more serious things.

• M558 P5 = 5 means it is a normally closed switch, with digital filtering. Since you say you have a pinda, this should be OK.

• M558 C"!io5.in" means the signal output of your Pinda should be to the pin labeled io5.in on the Duet board. Also, you can get GND and +5V for the pinda from the same connector.

AND... I believe PINDA probes require a pull up resistor. So this should probably be "^!io5.in". The ^ activates a pull up.

• M558 H2 is "dive height". The starting height from which it probes. Probably depending on how your probe is mechanically adjusted, this could be any of several numbers. 5 is probably a good place to start.

• M558 F120 is Feedrate during a probe. Speed. mm/min.

• M558 T3000 is speed of travel from probe point to probe point. mm/min.

With the pull up and the 5mm dive, your M558 should be OK

Regarding the G31 and the problem message: The documentation states "This facility [S and C] is deprecated and likely to be removed in a future version of RepRapFirmware.".

Therefore, I'd remove the S, C and H from the G31.

• Makes a little more sense - been at it for days so probably need to take a time out .... read so much I'm going word blind.

On the G31 I was hoping to make use of the temperature compensation in the probe that I have - a BLTouch takes up too much space and I'd need to redesign my whole X Axis to accommodate so it isn't high on my preference list.

If you consider my aluminium frame height of 540mm that I intend to enclose the expansion for a 10°C increase in temperature would be 0.11988mm, if I were to raise the temperature 20°C then the increase is 0.23976mm. Of course this occurs over the initial period of the print but I guess you could say that temperatures should be stabilised before you start - then no compensation is required.

Trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist I guess if the workflow changes a bit. I'll sleep on it ....

• administrators

@Garfield, your config looks OK to me so I don't know why you are getting that message. I will investigate it. I also need to change the error message to say "sensor" instead of "heater" in RRF3.

I was intending to remove the temperature compensation facility because I didn't think anyone was using it; but when I became aware of Pinda probes with built in thermistors, I changed my mind.

• @dc42 said in Duet 3 G31 'Heater Number':

I was intending to remove the temperature compensation facility because I didn't think anyone was using it; but when I became aware of Pinda probes with built in thermistors, I changed my mind.

Should we remove that statement from the dozuki?

• administrators

@Danal said in Duet 3 G31 'Heater Number':

@dc42 said in Duet 3 G31 'Heater Number':

Should we remove that statement from the dozuki?

I already have.

• administrators

@Garfield, first check that you are getting a sensible temperature reading on sensor 2. Name the sensor in the M308 command using an A parameter, then look in the Extras tab of DWC to see the reading.

If you do get a good reading but you still get that error message, try adding a short delay between the M308 command that creates sensor 2 and the G31 command that uses it, for example by inserting G4 P500 command between those lines in config.g.

[Edited]

• I'm on it - 👍 I shall let you know.

• Same error with the delay, the sensor is reading - showing 23.9 perhaps a tad high but I hadn't got as far as verifying calibrations but it is definitely reading (called it PINDA) .

Pinda.png

• This seems to be working now BUT ....

It didn't work following a board reset, power cycling the Duet seems to have resolved, the error has disappeared.

• administrators

Thanks. I've rewritten that code in RRF 3.1 so that the delay should not be needed.

• Well unfortunately no code change but the error is now back ... so I still get the error.

Definition code as confirmation

; PINDA - Z-Probe
    M308 S2 P"temp2" Y"thermistor" T100000 A"PINDA" B4725 C7.06e-8 ; configure sensor 2 as thermistor on pin temp2
    G4 P500
    M558 P5 C"!io5.in" H2 F120 T6000                      ; set Z probe type to switch
    G31 P1 X-57 Y-7 Z2.0 C0.2 S40 H2                      ; set Z probe trigger, offset, trigger height, temperature compensation

error has returned ...

G31 Error.png