Delta Smart Effector + Diamond Water Cooled Hotend

• I'm still in the planning/purchasing stage of my machine but jumped the gun earlier this year and bought a Diamond Full Color water cooled hotend. I like the idea of using the hotend as the z probe so the duet smart effector looks to be a good option. The watercooled diamond has a hole in the top of the heatsink barrel that could be threaded to accept a bolt (of course the bolt would need a hole in it as well to run wires, which isn't a big deal). I was thinking of attaching the hotend to the effector by bolting it under the effector, making sure to use spacers to center it etc.
    Now my concerns:

1. With the hotend being so much lower than where the arms connect I think there could be some control issues (I don't honestly know). Thoughts?

2. Since all this weight would be hanging off the effector, it seems this would affect the strain sensor to the point it would always have a false positive (I don't know if you can zero the reading).

3. Other concerns are with distance between effector and the filament input, I don't want there to be too much strain on the filament going into the hotend.

If anyone has any recommendations, additional concerns, or input, I'm all ears (eyes).

• @invalidusername said in Delta Smart Effector + Diamond Water Cooled Hotend:

1. With the hotend being so much lower than where the arms connect I think there could be some control issues (I don't honestly know). Thoughts?

It will not cause a problem in and of itself. It will 'amplify' or 'magnify' any effector tilt. This will depend on your rod ends, rod stiffness, rod alignment, carriages, etc.

1. Since all this weight would be hanging off the effector, it seems this would affect the strain sensor to the point it would always have a false positive (I don't know if you can zero the reading).

It self zeros. Not a problem.

1. Other concerns are with distance between effector and the filament input, I don't want there to be too much strain on the filament going into the hotend.

Not sure what this question means.

• @Danal I appreciate the information, thank you! That last question is kind of hard to explain, especially without pictures. The hotend accepts 5 bowden style connections, since these connections are under the effector I need to make sure that the distance from the connectors to the underside of the effector is far enough that I can physically connect the bowden tubes and keep the filament from binding due to an extreme bend radius. I also hope that there is enough room to install at least two Zesty Nimbles. I spoke to Duet, I'll be doing a mock up to see if it will work and report my findings here. Thanks again!