Odd motion issues



  • No I'm not using m556. Although I just tried this and it did not make the horizontal move.Although I am calibrating to around 0.02, maybe it does it if the calibration comes back a lot further off?



  • No m556 here either. I calibrate into the 0.025 range currently.



  • I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go back to 1.17 today. Pretty sure the only firmware changes I made were on my z-probe offset, and my PID tuning, and I saved all of that. Hopefully the downgrade goes well.



  • Trying to figure out what all I need to downgrade when going back to 1.17e

    Firmware Electronics: Duet WiFi 1.0
    Firmware Version: 1.18.1 (2017-04-09)
    WiFi Server Version: 1.03 (ch fork)
    Web Interface Version: 1.15b



  • Downgraded to 1.17e, still the same kind of look going on. Not as severe, but that's more to do with the first layer thickness from the different probe offset, I think. So has to be mechanical, I guess.

    Now to try and think through the remainder of what could cause something like that.



  • Tore down all 3 towers last night (removed the bearings, steppers, carriages, belts) no signs of any issue in any of them. Rebuilt it, and same deal. I did retest for tilt using my gyro/accel, found a little and corrected for that. Cleaned up my calibration results a tad, but prints do the same thing. Even rotated my bed to see if it was just a high spot, but it stays in the same pattern, no change at all from that.

    The only other thing I can think of that changed recently is I made the newer mount for my piezo probe. It made the probe much more sensitive. My calibration is more precise, but I don't see why it would cause this behavior. So I'm rather stumped at the moment. I can increase the height of my first layer a bit and "hide" that, but it's obviously not an ideal solution.


  • administrators

    1. Are you running G32 or G29 when you get this behaviour during probing? If it's G32, please post your bed.g file.

    2. Do you have any M556 axis compensation configured in config.g?



  • I'm just hitting the Delta Auto-Calibration button to run bed.g - that's just a G32, right?

    Here's my bed.g (with a ton of comment lines removed…):

    M558 P1 I0 F200 X0 Y0 Z0 T3000 R1
    G31 X0 Y0 Z0.00 P325

    G28
    G1 Z5 F4500
    G1 X0.00 Y120.00 Z5 F4500
    G4 S1

    G30 P0 X0.00 Y120.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P1 X77.13 Y91.93 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P2 X118.18 Y20.84 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P3 X103.92 Y-60.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P4 X41.04 Y-112.76 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P5 X-41.04 Y-112.76 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P6 X-103.92 Y-60.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P7 X-118.18 Y20.84 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P8 X-77.13 Y91.93 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P9 X0.00 Y60.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P10 X51.96 Y30.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P11 X51.96 Y-30.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P12 X0.00 Y-60.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P13 X-51.96 Y-30.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P14 X-51.96 Y30.00 Z-99999 H0
    G30 P15 X0 Y0 Z-99999 S6

    G28

    This line is in my config.g... I don't remember putting it there, so it must be from the base config I started with and I forgot about it. Should I comment it out?

    M556 S78 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Axis compensation here



  • Just for kicks, here's the results of a G29:

    http://imgur.com/NE7S00f
    http://imgur.com/dr36tuS
    http://imgur.com/OYVI9SK

    RepRapFirmware height map file v1 generated at 2017-04-05 11:27, mean error 0.00, deviation 0.03
    xmin,xmax,ymin,ymax,radius,spacing,xnum,ynum
    -120.00,120.10,-120.00,120.10,125.00,20.00,13,13
    0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -0.043, -0.014, 0.037, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
    0, 0, 0, -0.041, -0.036, -0.023, -0.012, 0.009, 0.031, 0.070, 0, 0, 0
    0, 0, -0.002, -0.040, -0.030, -0.012, 0.001, 0.036, 0.053, 0.057, 0.083, 0, 0
    0, 0.021, 0.032, -0.010, -0.007, -0.013, -0.010, 0.011, 0.002, -0.004, 0.027, 0.042, 0
    0, 0.012, -0.012, -0.010, -0.028, -0.010, 0.003, 0.023, 0.037, 0.022, 0.045, 0.032, 0
    0.051, 0.041, 0.029, 0.000, -0.003, -0.014, -0.016, -0.012, -0.012, -0.022, -0.002, -0.027, -0.029
    0.028, 0.008, 0.010, -0.023, -0.026, -0.003, -0.003, 0.008, 0.011, 0.015, -0.014, -0.015, -0.008
    0.024, 0.015, 0.013, -0.009, -0.002, -0.012, 0.001, 0.003, 0.000, -0.013, -0.027, -0.038, -0.053
    0, -0.028, -0.035, -0.027, -0.009, -0.005, 0.010, 0.010, 0.001, 0.021, 0.014, 0.003, 0
    0, -0.054, -0.033, -0.027, -0.024, -0.015, -0.003, -0.002, 0.002, 0.013, 0.001, 0.012, 0
    0, 0, -0.062, -0.038, -0.037, -0.021, 0.002, 0.004, 0.014, 0.027, 0.042, 0, 0
    0, 0, 0, -0.077, -0.039, -0.029, 0.011, 0.034, 0.061, 0.061, 0, 0, 0
    0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.008, 0.037, 0.058, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0



  • I think things are looking better. I took everything apart once again in all 3 towers. Stripped the belts, idlers, steppers, all of it.

    Found two possible things… one, my pulleys on my steppers weren't as well aligned as they could have been. Adjusted that, which cleaned up the belt path. (They weren't bad, just a tick off)

    The other is the Z stepper wiring was directly laying on top of my 12v PSU's output ports. Not sure it was definitely getting any interference, but it's probably something to avoid. The first layer looks better now, so it's promising that was it. Need to run through a few prints to see.


Log in to reply