Smart Effector Fans work/LED Lights Don't Light Up

• Greetings --

I've had the smart effector for about a month -- at one point, the 3 LED lights on the bottom end worked, but it was for a very brief time. Now, despite the fact that both fans work correctly, none of the bottom LEDs light up.

NOTE: all status LEDs are currently working correctly.

Thanks in advance for any advice....

• Those LEDs are driven by the "hot end fan". They will only be on when it is running (not the part cooling fan).

If you heat up your hot end, and the fan comes on (assuming thermostatic), what happens to the LEDs?

Also, if I recall, there are some jumpers involved in this fan/light relationship... perhaps one got knocked off? Check the smart effector docs.

• I appreciate your reply, but as I said, both fans work correctly. The hot end fan turns on when temp reached 45 and part fan turns on during print commands. I did originally set the 12v jumper and I do observe it still on here. I also have looked at the docs and that's why I'm reaching out to the forum. I believe that's what the forum is for, isn't it?

• Yes, that is exactly what the forum is for, which is why I interacted and perhaps repeated some information that was already covered in your first post.

Tone is really hard to read in written communication. If I somehow made you feel unwelcome or "talked down to" by being more explicit about fans and LED power, I apologize. My intent was to seek more dialog and see if a thought got triggered.

Were it me... I'd dismount the smart effector completely and look very carefully with good magnification and lots of different angles of light, look at all the traces that lead from the top connectors to the bottom connectors for the hot end fan and the LEDs. Some of those are very easy to damage.

Also, an ohmeter could potentially find something, with the board dismounted and disconnected.

P.S. To be clear, I'm not Duet official in any way, just a guy that has a bunch of Duets and two smart effectors.

• administrators

The Smart Effector schematic is here https://github.com/T3P3/SmartEffector/blob/master/SmartEffector/SmartEffector_v2.0/SmartEffector_schematic_v2.0.pdf. The 3 LEDs and 2 resistors are all connected in series, that that chain is connected in parallel with the hot end fan. One of the resistors can be bypassed with a jumper. If you have a multimeter, you can check the continuity of that chain.