Laser Works (but not from lightburn)

• Looks like this question would be better placed in the lightburn forum, but my guess is the engraving duet users gather here. Duet is still pretty underrepresented in the lightburn forums...

I have my engraver setup working. That is, G1 Sxxx commands make the laser move and burn. The lightburn gcode output however switches on with M3 Sxxx and does not give Sxxx parameters in the G1 command. I know some people are using Duets AND lightburn to engrave. My question: how did theu dolve this?

Thanks!

• administrators

Change the Lightburn output settings. I think the settings for Smootheware and Grbl use G1 S1 commands.

• Smoothieware profile refuses to connect to the board. No idea why, all other profiles I tried have no problem on the same baudrate.

Grbl only issues an S parameter when it changes (presumes it to be sticky)

• smoothie mode may require marlin compatability mode, and sticky S parameter should work with a recent firmware set to laser mode?

• @bearer said in Laser Works (but not from lightburn):

smoothie mode may require marlin compatability mode, and sticky S parameter should work with a recent firmware set to laser mode?

I can find no such Marlin Compatibility mode in the Lightburn device settings.
    And the sticky S obviously does not work in RRF 3.11RC (unless it has to be enabled somehow? The laser only burns during the first move.

; LightBurn 0.9.11
    ; GRBL-M3 (1.1e or earlier) device profile, current position
    G00 G17 G40 G21 G54
    G91
    ; Cut @ 3000 mm/min, 10% power
    M9
    M5
    G0X3.64Y2.28
    M3
    G1X-0.71Y0.65S25.5F3000
    G1X-0.65Y0.71
    G1X-0.57Y0.77
    G1X-0.5Y0.82
    G1X-0.42Y0.88
    etc...

• administrators

@DeltaCon said in Laser Works (but not from lightburn):

Smoothieware profile refuses to connect to the board. No idea why, all other profiles I tried have no problem on the same baudrate.

Grbl only issues an S parameter when it changes (presumes it to be sticky)

Are you trying to connect to the Duet via USB, instead of uploading via HTTP and running the job from SD card?

• @dc42 said in Laser Works (but not from lightburn):

Are you trying to connect to the Duet via USB, instead of uploading via HTTP and running the job from SD card?

Yes indeed I am. Reason for that is to be able to use Lightburn controls on my laptop beside the machine. I am not familiar enough with my machine yet to have it working "on it's own". And DWC has way to many laser-engraving-unrelated options. I would love a webcontrol that was more CNC related though. I also would love Lightburn to have ethernet connections 😉 But I am aware that Lightburn can save the gecode and I could upload it through DWC. Feels like more steps that necessary though.

• @bearer said in Laser Works (but not from lightburn):

my bad, marlin compat is a RRF thing https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Gcode#Section_M555_Set_compatibility

Oh, okay, I'll try that.
    Through the Lightburn forums I was also told that the next lightburn release will havean "inline" option in the Marlin profile that does exactly what we want:

1b02cdad-9c75-4623-89b4-87d62b17dcb3-image.png

So that's great too!

and you're using https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Gcode#Section_M452_Select_Laser_Printer_Mode ?

Hmm, I see where you are going with this... I omitted the S1 parameter in the M452.
    That should do the trick... Thanks for this direction. There are so many thing to account for! 😉

• Tested the S1 parameter in M452 and that works. Thanks @bearer for showing me.

Extra questions for the experts:

What is a nice clean method for having a nice clean low-power dot for focussing purposes? Anyone have a ready to use macro for that?

And the second one is about the F parameter in M452. The specs of my lasermodule show a max PWM frequency of 20000Hz. Should I use that or is that some nonsense value? I see many people using different values here, but what values actualy make sense?