Problem with the 5v to 3.3v regulator

• I'm having a problem with my duet wifi, it just started right after upgrading to 1.19beta, not sure if it's just an coincidence. When I turn on the board(even with nothing connected), the 3.3v green light turns off after a few seconds. After some investigation, I found the problem is with the TC2117-3.3VDBTR 5v to 3.3v regulator, it gets really hot in a few seconds and stops working. If I place a block of metal on top of the chip to cool it, it would work as long as metal is cool. Before I try to replace the chip I just want to know if the problem is caused by the chip itself, or some load(I have nothing connected, could there be a short somewhere) on the 3.3v that overloads the chip. Any idea?

• After some more investigation, I found the resistance between the +5 and ground is only 10 ohms. So I guess the TC2117-3.3VDBTR shorted internally that's why it gets so hot? I'm surprised it still works with cooling.

• administrators

That does sound like a very odd failure mode.

• Looks like the problem is indeed caused by the TC2117-3.3VDBTR chip. I removed it and the resistance on the chip between 5V and ground still measures 10 ohms. With a external 3.3v source connected to the duet wifi board, everything works fine without generating any excessive heat. Now I just hope I won't make too big of a mess soldering on a new one.

• administrators

If you've removed the old regulator without damaging the PCB traces, you've done the difficult bit.

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.