5v-12v fan wiring help

• Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions:

can I use 12v for fans that are always on and 5v for fan0-1-2?

or removing the jumpers all the fans work 5v?

I have to mount 1 fan 30x30 for v6 (12v) and 2 fans 30x30 (5v) to cool the printed part.
    could it work by putting the two 5v fans in series always in 12v by lowering the max PWM?

• administrators

@edo_drum:

can I use 12v for fans that are always on and 5v for fan0-1-2?

Yes if you wire your always-on fans directly to VIN (assuming it is 12V) instead of to the always-on fan connectors.

@edo_drum:

could it work by putting the two 5v fans in series always in 12v by lowering the max PWM?

I don't recommend that because you can't guarantee that the two fans will share the voltage equally if you connect them in series.

• @dc42:

Yes if you wire your always-on fans directly to VIN (assuming it is 12V) instead of to the always-on fan connectors.

thank you so much I did not really think to connect the fan 12v always on at VIN as on the ramps hehe
    thanks, it seems to me the best solution.

So to enable the 5v I just remove the two jumpers?

• No you switch the jumper on the 3 pin VFAN block, to 5v, instead of Vin.

It will supply the fans from the Duet's onboard 5v regulator (or external 5v if you have that jumper switched also).

• @DjDemonD:

No you switch the jumper on the 3 pin VFAN block, to 5v, instead of Vin.

ok, I think I understand, in the coming days I try to connect and test everything, thank you very much

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.