Set Extrusion Min Temp

• Hi All, I have been searching for a while now and haven't found anything on this so I figured I'd ask here. Is there a way to lower the min temp for extrusion? I have some SOFT filament that extrudes well between 145-150°C but the firmware doesn't allow extrusion at those temps. I know I can allow cold extrudes, but I really didn't want to disable that feature. Is there a gcode to change that temp setting? Thanks.

• @enix I just checked the source code and it appears that 160°C minimum extrusion temperature is hard-coded. So the only way to change this is by disabling cold-extrusion-prevention using M302 P1.

That's rare in RRF to find truly hard-coded values.

Interesting/fun side-fact: you can already retract starting from 90°C according to another hard-coded value.

• Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I can make due.

The fun fact you mention... I have never been able to get any movement from the extruder below temp without disabling cold extrusion, is that a firmware retraction setting verses gcode retraction?

• @enix said in Set Extrusion Min Temp:

The fun fact you mention... I have never been able to get any movement from the extruder below temp without disabling cold extrusion, is that a firmware retraction setting verses gcode retraction?

I just tried it out - never used this before. I heated my hotend to 90°C, made sure that relative extrusion was enabled by sending M83 (might or might not be necessary) and a following G1 E-0.1 started the extruder motor and gave no error. To be sure I also sent a G1 E0.1 but got

Warning: Tool 0 was not driven because its heater temperatures were not high enough or it has a heater fault

So retraction is possible - DWC even enables the "Retract" button as soon as the hotend reaches 90°C. Never realized that before. 😁

• @dc42 Is there a reason why these values are truly hard-coded? I'd be willing to take a shot at making them configurable if this is

1. desirable
    2. you could tell me to which command I add this? Intuitively I would add it as parameters to M302 but I could also implement a completely new command.

• @wilriker That is interesting. Maybe I just never tried retraction, nor paid attention to the retraction becoming enabled at any temp because I was looking to extrude.

As far as it becoming configurable, I'd definitely like to see that. I know Marlin FW uses M302 Pxx Sxx with Pxx being the flag on/off and Sxx being the temp setting. I have used it to change the temp on a couple of my machines before for the aforementioned reasons. Just food for thought...

• @enix I just implemented this and created https://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware/pull/181 - but as I wrote in the comment there it is totally up to @dc42 to decide whether this will be accepted at all and as he seems to be really busy right now it might take a while for him to respond. Plus it will take some time until 2.01 (I guess that's the next version number).

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.