Duet Wifi, 5V

• Hi,

I'm about to connect 5V fans to my duet wifi board,
    As I'm not sure if my fans really are brushless ones so I'm going to use flyback diodes.
    I guess there're only required when for PWM fans and not needed for always on fans, or would the buck converter be require the protection ?

Another question about the buck converter, it's rated for 2A, would you discourage using it to also power a raspberry pi with its camera ?

TIA

• administrators

If they are always on fans then even a brushless brushed fan doesn't need a flyback diode.

How much current does a RPi + camera take? If you already have a PanelDue, don't forget to allow for its current draw as well.

• @dc42:

If they are always on fans then even a brushless fan doesn't need a flyback diode.

Ok, I guess you mean even a brushed fan doesn't need the flyback diode. don't you ?

@dc42:

How much current does a RPi + camera take? If you already have a PanelDue, don't forget to allow for its current draw as well.

looks like my old rpi + camera + cpu intensive tasks could draw next to 1A.
    To be on the safe side, I guess I'll use an extra dc-dc switching converter, must have some lying in a drawer.

Thanks

• administrators

Yes I meant brushed.

Drawing 1A from the internal 5V regulator should be OK.

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.