Silly paneldue connection idea…

• Stupid idea… The paneldue connector uses 4 pins to connect to the duet wifi. 2 power, 2 data. Hey, that sounds like USB! I'm sure using a USB cable for the paneldue connection would work, but I'm curious - What would happen if I connected the paneldue to the USB on my computer, assuming the pins are wired to their correct USB counterparts?

Also, I noticed that the SD card connector has 5 pins. USB 3.0 has an additional 5 pins. I could have a single micro USB connector from the paneldue to the duet...

• administrators

The USB port on PanelDue is only active when the firmware has been erased ready for programming. Also both USB ports are device only with no host or OTG functionality.

I am looking at the possibility of using the 10-way ribbon cable to carry all the signals and power.

• No… I'm thinking of jury rigging a micro-usb 3.0 female header to the paneldue connector, not the micro-usb header that's already on the board. The 4 pins for the paneldue-to-duet would go with the normal usb 2 pins, and the SD card connection could be wired through the additional 5 pins that USB 3 adds. On the Duet side, I would do the same.

• administrators

That sounds feasible. However, I think it's simpler to route everything through the 10-way ribbon cable. If your Duet WiFi PCB is version 1.01 then it already has the transmit, receive and +5V lines connected to the CONN_SD socket. Then all you need to do is to jumper those pins on the back of the PanelDue board from the ribbon cable connector to the 4-pin connector.

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.