MPCNC: 12V or 24V?

• I am thinking about (or rather try to not think about 😂 ) building a MPCNC. Since it does not have any heater components (with high currents) and probably won't move very fast (at least not while cutting) I think 12V would be sufficient assuming the spindle will be powered separately.

Is there anything I am missing that would be improved by using 24V?

• you want 24v for the nema motors.
    You will get more torque out of them.

• @veti Why would 24V result in more torque when the motor drivers are current based? 😕

• @wilriker At high speeds. Read about BackEMF.
    When the motor BackEMF exceeded the power supply voltage stepper motors are losing torque.
    And a stepper driver can not push more then the power supply voltage.
    That is why stepper motors in CNC a driven often with 40-50V

• @dragonn I know about the high speed part. But for a MPCNC high speeds are only for travel and I could live having them at say 100mm/s max. I don't think I will be cutting with 100mm/s. Except maybe paper. 😂

• 100mm/s doesn't really tell much because what matters is the rotating speed of the motor.
    https://reprapfirmware.org/ here is a nice EMF calculator, just do you math for 12V and 24V

• @wilriker
    Manuel,

Turn your question on it's head. Then it becomes "why would a 12v PSU be better than a 24V one"? Generally, they seem to cost the same. The answer may be a factor of what other peripherals do you want to power ( fans, lights etc) and are these peripherals available one voltage but not another?

• @dragonn I know the EMF calculator. It was probably the most visited webpage in my browser's history for quite a while while I was selecting new motors for my printer. 😁

@deckingman I think your idea is the better approach here. Also currently this is all in the just-wanna-have-it stage. I have absolutely no need for a MPCNC I would just build it to have it built.

And you are right, peripherals are (in my experience) more widely available for 12V than for 24V.

I am going to mark this question as solved with: 24V is always better for your steppers because they could run faster than with 12V. And a buck-down converter can always take 24V to 12V in case of peripherals not available at native 24V.

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.