Why does DWC allow me to upload, and then "print", STL files?

• Once or twice a month I'll accidentally upload the thing_i_want_to_to_print.stl file instead of the the sliced thing_i_want_to_to_print.gcode file. Then I'll click on the entry to print it and it will instantly go to the finished state, sometimes messing something up requiring a reboot.

It's not a big deal, but I'm curious why the file open dialog isn't constrained to .gcode files only, and why there's no error message if I upload .stl or any other non-gcode file?

• i have done the same thing more than a few times (shh dont tell nobody lol) and was wondering the same. It does not appear to cause any issues, i just resend correct file and it works fine no re-homing or anything. Operator error is sometimes a hard thing to fix 🙂

• For me it causes my z to crash sometimes 😞

wish it only displayed gcode files

• administrators

I suggest you start a post about this in the DWC wish list section of the forum; or perhaps Tony can move this thread.

• I find it helpful that I can also upload a gcode-containing .txt file.
    Sometimes I generate gcode-testroutines and can save them only with .txt extension. In Windows I can't rename the extension and have to open a "DOS"-window to do that.

• Why can you not rename the file extension in windows? (If it's because you can not see the extension, you can change that – depending on your version of windows it will be found in different places, but the "folder options" settings are what you are looking for.)

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.