DuetWifi: 5V super capacitor to keep power on through a power dip

• A little bit of background information on the setup, for which I need to do some calculations:
    The printer chassis is the Wanhao D5S series (single extruder, though replaced with a Titan and E3Dv6). 5" PanelDue screen used as main operating interface (WiFi used as backup and to transfer files). I will be supplying its power from a 24V Meanwell power supply (350W, since it will also run a ~160W heatbed).

The questions I have is regarding 2 DuetWiFi/Ethernet features: The Power Supply on/off; and the saving in case of power failure.
    I will be using a solid state relay in parallel to the power switch (which supplies Mains to the Power Supply), with its 5V trigger running on the PS_ON wiring, this is to allow the printer to shut itself down in case of Emergency Stop and when done with a print (I know to not print unattended, at least for longer times, but sometimes I am outside when it needs to complete, and then shut itself down).

In my case, I have a scenario I want to protect my prints/printer from:

1. Power dips, brown-outs. Basically our electricity supplier does not always provide very stable power and every now and then (luckily not too regularly) the power takes a dip. Most of the time this last less than a second, but to be safe I need to keep the printer on for about 3-4 seconds after losing power (hopefully it regains power, and can simply resume).

In order for the printer to stay on (without switching itself off, on power failure), I think I need a way to keep 5V going into the printer from the 5V at the PS_ON connector (its GND and 5V pins), which is where I am thinking of using a super capacitor (5.5V, 1F, or more). Obviously the capacitor needs a charging resistor to not overpower the regulator, and using a diode, I can bypass the resistor when it should discharge to keep the logic going.

Can the DuetWiFi automatically continue printing, if power is restored quickly (in stead of requiring manual intervention)?
    I know ideally I should have it on a UPS system, but that is just not financially possible at this time (though in the pipeline for later).

• administrators

Hi

Have a look at this wiki page
    https://duet3d.com/wiki/Setting_up_to_resume_a_print_after_a_power_failure_or_planned_power_down

The Duet has the capacity to pause a print when the VIN drops below a set level, save the state and then that state can be used to resume.

Cheers

Tony

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.