Would this work?

• Hello everyone,

I came up with an idea that would automatically keep my stepper motors cool, and I want to see if it would work before I put any effort into it.

I currently have heatsinks and fans on my stepper motors. They work great, but the fans are on when there is no need to have them on. So I came up with the idea of having the DuetWifi control the fans when the motors got above a set temperature. Just like the hotend fan. I would have thermistors on each motor, and a fan that is linked to each thermistor. That way if a motor started to get warm, the cooling fan would kick in. Plus it would allow me to see if a motor is getting to hot since the temperature would be displayed on the web control.

I would not be buying a Duex2 or Duex5 for this since I don't have the need for the additional stepper drivers and/or the heater MOSFETS. I would using the Duex5 schematic as a reference for designing my own board. I would use all the exact same parts as the Duex5, just without the extras I don't need.

So I am asking all the Duet gurus... Could I use the Duet to monitor some thermistors and control some fans to keep my stepper motors cool without having the fans on all the time?

thermistors

Thanks
    TC

P.S. One option I did start on, is making a circuit using a comparator that would turn on a fan when the temperature went above a set level. I would do this idea if the Duet idea would not work.

• administrators

Yes the Duet can do it. You can configure virtual heaters that use the extra thermistor inputs, and have them control the extra fans thermostatically.

• Wonderful, thank you

• If you want something much simpler, just wire a KSD9700 thermostatic switch (NO, normally-open) in series with your fan, and attach / glue / zip-tie it to you stepper housing.
    Cheap, simple, easily removable, and does not require any active electronics.

• @resam

Thank you for the suggestion, but I want to use active electronics. I want to have the ability to adjust what temperature the fans turn on.

• administrators

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.