G92/G10/M585 for setting Head Position (not machine position)

• I was reading the documentation for G92 here:
    https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Gcode#Section_G92_Set_Position

It sounds like it sets the "machine position," but not the position of the active tool.

I would like to move a specific tool to a known position on the stage and type G# X# Y# so that the firmware knows that that tool is at that particular coordinate at that moment. Then I'd repeat for the other tool heads - moving them to the same position and typing the exact same G#X#Y# command. Its a way of roughly setting the tool XY offsets by moving the tool head to a known marked position on the stage, then typing G# X# Y#.

Is there a way to do that with G92? Or with G10? Or M585?

• administrators

Not currently. The nearest thing available is G10 L20, but that sets the workplace coordinate offset, not the tool offset.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to set the tool offsets in this way?

• @dc42 I'm experimenting with different tools that require different mounts and each time I take the tool off and screw a new one on, the position is a millimeter or so off of the expected position (in both X and Y). So I just want a quick way to set the offset in the manner I described. I think it would be easier than entering G10 for each tool (which could take a while if I've loaded 5 tools).

• administrators

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll add this to the firmware wish list, possibly for inclusion in firmware 2.02.

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.