X/y backlash compensation

• Hi! Does anyone know if there is a backlash compensation function in firmware? Some thing like the M99: Set axis_hysteresis_mm command. With the M556: Axis compensation and auto bed level this firmware is really powerful but i feel that the backlash compensation is missing?

Thanks!

• What sort of setup do you have? How much backlash do you estimate you are seeing? The only reason I ask, is that I've only come across this as an academic discussion, not actually seen it implemented in 3D printing as it seems that eliminating backlash mechanically or removing it using elastic/springs seems to be the preferred option.

• It's a Ultimaker style printer. I have measured it to about 0.1mm x and 0.15mm y. I have seen a lot of discussion about removing mechanical fault, but its really the same as bed leveling and square up xy axis. It can be done to a great length mechanically and it should. But having the possibility to dial in the last bit in firmware helps a lot!
    Other firmware's does it already, look at this as a example : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2040624
    Thanks!

• administrators

It's already on the wish list as item #10 at https://www.duet3d.com/forum/thread.php?id=961&p=1. I haven't counted up the votes yet, I'll do so after firmware 1.18 is released.

• Backlash compensation will be useful for those of us running ballscrews. I haven’t pulled the trigger on the duet WiFi, duex10, plus daughter board, extended thermistors yet however this will be an important feature if we continue moving forward with development of this printer using duet products. It has been difficult finding resources online with dozens of hours researching duet and the lack of overall descriptive content describing its capabilities however it does seem to be an overall good candidate for our servo based commercial printer using external drives. Even some self proclaimed industrial controllers do not have the features and potential this system has without going to a pc based controller.

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.