Duet 3 an Nanotec CANOpen-Controllers

• You wrote in your Duet 3 Mainboard description:

2 CAN-FD buses that support the next generation of Duet3D expansion boards, smart tools and custom addons. initial target is support for up to 8 x 3 channel expansion boards (another 24 stepper channels).

Would it be possible to connect Nanotec C5E/CLE4- Controllers with CANOpen to the mainboard?
    Nanotec said that CAN-FD and CANOpen are compatible

Best Regards

• administrators

What is the maximum rate at which they can process back-to-back accelerate-steady-decelerate command segments? It need to be very fast to support 3D printing (hundreds of segments per second).

When I looked at CANOpen at the start of the Duet 3 project in 2018, its bandwidth was hopelessly inadequate, and there was no FD version. I believe there is an FD version now but I haven't looked at it.

• @Sprenger said in Duet 3 an Nanotec CANOpen-Controllers:

Would it be possible to connect Nanotec C5E/CLE4- Controllers with CANOpen to the mainboard?

CANOpen is the high level protocol, which would have to be supported by the RepRap firmware.

CAN-FD is the physical layer so they could be connected, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll work together.

Also, I think the 2 CAN-FD buses might be an oversight as I've seen the second CAN bus refered to as a vanilla CAN bus (this thread)

• administrators

@bearer the hardware supports both as CAN-FD. It might make sense to put "slow" CAN devices on one and leave one for CAN-FD only. Not decided.