Modified BLV cube

• I always enjoy reading about other people's printers, so I'll share mine I just finished.

It's a BLV Cube with a full enclosure, 7" touchscreen connected to a Pi 4, heavily modified toolhead, and some cosmetic tweaks. Really a great design, but everything could always use some upgrades!

Features/improvements from original design:

• Precision Piezo Z-probe
    • Dual 5015 part cooling fans
    • V6 hotend with Bondtech direct-drive
    • 300x300 magnetic bed
    • Raspberry Pi with Duet 2 Ethernet
    • Lots(!) of LEDs

Possible upgrades:

• Watercooling for hotend and part cooling fans
    • Better bed (currently I have a cheap aluminum bed with integrated heater)
    • Toolchanger

A little bit of history:

This is my second printer build. I started out with a Printrbot, and designed my own printer using hardware from the Printrbot (just a standard CoreXY with linear rods, etc.). It worked quite well for about 5 years, with some significant hardware revisions and upgrades. I wanted to build a bigger and better one, using the significant lessons learned while building and upgrading, and I had some designs floating around in my head. I was originally planning on building it with V-slot, until I came across the BLV Cube, and loved it. From that stemmed this printer.

Now for the good part: Pictures!

IMG_20200707_200114.jpg

Detail of the gantry:
    IMG_20200707_200141.jpg

Detail of the toolhead:
    IMG_20200707_200157.jpg

Messy electronics
    IMG_20200707_200249-min.jpg

Feel free to ask questions, and enjoy!

• Very cool! I think I've seen your design on Thingiverse before. πŸ™‚

I recently built a BLV cube kit, and am in the process of doing some modifications -- changing to blind joints for the main frame members, fully enclosing it, and adding a third Z axis and kinematic bed for automatic leveling.

JGS_modded_BLV_2020-frame.png

JGS_modded_BLV_2020-triple_Z.png

The project has slowed down a bit as some other things have taken priority in recent weeks (and my new Keenovo bed heater has languished in a shipping center in Shanghai), but looking forward to moving things forward soon. πŸ™‚

I really like your front panel! Is that your design as well? I decided to swap out to a cheapo 7" tablet connected to DWC and am still thinking about the new front panel design...

• @whopping-pochard
    Thanks! Though it's not my design, I just modified it... 😁 I understand waiting for parts to sit in a warehouse for weeks. A lot of my parts went through the same ordeal, some taking more than a month!

I do like the kinematic bed leveling system, might have to put it on the list of upgrades.

Yes, the front panel is my design. I made it for a cheap 7" touchscreen from ebay, and printed it in three pieces. If you want, I can share the design.

• @SAtech said in Modified BLV cube:

If you want, I can share the design.

That would be awesome, I'd love to see it!

• The kinematic mount doesn't look right to me, but maybe I can't see details in the picture you posted. It looks like there are 3 parallel slots. That isn't how to make a kinematic mount...

• @mrehorstdmd yeah, that’s a super zoomed out view... the actual couplings are based on I think your design, with one being effectively a ball joint, one a sliding joint, and one able to translate in X and Y. The slider joint translates along an axis intersecting with the ball joint.

• @whopping-pochard That sounds right. nevermind.

• Nice printer shame about the wiring.