Which board to pick? ( Rat Rig V-Cast)

• Hi *,

I got my Rat Rig V-Cast today and started to assemble it. 😉 I got the IDEX version so I will have two extruders.

I count 7 motors (2 extruders, 2x, 2z and 1 y) because I want to have independent Z for Z leveling.

My understanding is that I have this options now:
    a: 1x Duet3 6HC and one Expansion3HC.
    b: 1x Duet3 6HC and 2x Toolboard 1LC. (If I can fit them to he printhead)
    c : Wait for the upcoming Duet 3 Mini 5+ and get WiFi and my 7 drivers.

Any recommendations? Any other ideas?

Cheers, Chriss

• well there is the duet maestro + Duet 2 Maestro - Dual Stepper Expansion Module, which gives you 7 drivers.
    but i would go for a duet 3. waiting for the duet 3 mini myself.

The Maestro may be hard to find in retail now as it's been discontinued (and replaced by the D3 mini5+)

There's also the option of Duet Wifi + Duex.

https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/The_Duet_family_of_motion_control_electronics

• administrators

If the extruders are direct drive (i.e. stepper motors mounted on the print carriages) and you can fit the tool boards on the print carriages, then I suggest Duet 3 (or Duet 3 Mini, if you can wait for it) and two tool boards. This will simplify the wiring to the print carriages.

• Thanks guys, it is more and more clear to me that I shall wait for the Mini. I hope that I will be able to get my hands on one of them from the first patch. 😉

The two extruders will be direct drive, I aim for two hemeras. They are not availabe at the moment anyway, so I can be relaxed here.

I like the concept with the tool board, I have to see how I could fit them to the EVA. I will print a dummy of the board, that may help me to find a way to mount them.

Cheers, Chriss

• @Chriss said in Which board to pick? ( Rat Rig V-Cast):

The two extruders will be direct drive, I aim for two hemeras. They are not availabe at the moment anyway, so I can be relaxed here.

i am also waiting for the hermera.
    but i am considering trying https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000983379658.html as an alternative

• @Veti

I feel your problem. I think that the Mini is a very good reason to give the other people from Brexitisland more time to restock the Hemera. 😉

• i have just seen that the mini 5 will have a 2 driver board expansion as well

so you can have 7 steppers on the mini without an canbus expansion board.

• @Chriss said in Which board to pick? ( Rat Rig V-Cast):

Hi *,

I got my Rat Rig V-Cast today and started to assemble it. 😉 I got the IDEX version so I will have two extruders.

I count 7 motors (2 extruders, 2x, 2z and 1 y) because I want to have independent Z for Z leveling.

My understanding is that I have this options now:
    a: 1x Duet3 6HC and one Expansion3HC.
    b: 1x Duet3 6HC and 2x Toolboard 1LC. (If I can fit them to he printhead)
    c : Wait for the upcoming Duet 3 Mini 5+ and get WiFi and my 7 drivers.

Any recommendations? Any other ideas?

Cheers, Chriss

I went with a Duet 2 Wifi + Duex 5 on my V-Cast. Granted I already had the Duet 2 WiFi in hand so getting the Duex was the cheapest option 😛

Works well!

• @NexxCat

Yes, I know, my duet2 works fine in my CR10, but I do not aim for a Duet2 any more. I like the new drivers and some other new features on the Duet3. I think that Duet2 is now a step back in time. 😉

Cheers, Chriss