Issues with Smart Effector Probe and thermistor connection
I’m trying to commission a new scratch-built delta, which is running a Smart Effector connected to a Duet 2 Wifi. While I have used a similar configuration in the past, I have never set one up. The Smart Effector is brand new, while the Duet 2 Wifi is old and came to me second hand (and running RRF version 2, which I upgraded).
I’m having issues with both my thermistor and the Smart Effector’s Z-probe. In DWC, the nozzle is reporting -273 degrees. I’m assuming that this means it isn’t getting a signal. Also, whenever I try to run the Delta calibration command (G32), I am told that the Z probe is not detected.
It seems the probe is working on the effector, since I can tap the nozzle and the green LED lights up in response. This also suggests that the power is getting to the effector fine (so at least 2 of the wires in that connector work).
I’m guessing that the issues are in either the way I have connected it, or the software settings. I have also checked the wiring for continuity issues, and it seems that is all fine (but doesn’t exclude the possibility that I have plugged in in to the wrong location). I’m also no expert in configuring RRF, so I may have screwed that up somewhere, despite using the configuration tool, where all I seem to have needed to do was select the right probe type, so I think I got that right.
So I had a tinker and have inverted the MOD pin.
Now on DWC I can at least see the probe, which reads zero when at idle and goes red with values from about 700 to 1000 when I tap the nozzle.
I’m unsure of what normal behaviour is supposed to be, but this probably isn’t it…
@mediaxyz Please post your config.g, send M115 to the Duet and post the response, and perhaps post a picture of your wiring. Your description doesn't really help diagnose what the issue is!
Smart Effector documentation, particularly the commissioning section: https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Smart_effector_and_carriage_adapters_for_delta_printer#Section_Commissioning
@droftarts I think I got the probe working. Not really having any better ideas, I inverted both the z probe in pin and the z mod pin in the cogfig.g. When that didn’t work, I inverted just one pin at a time. Apparently having the mod pin inverted did the trick, and it works, although I have absolutely no idea why that is the case.
I also plugged in a spare thermistor directly into the board and it worked fine, so I’ll do a little fault-finding. Perhaps it is a bad sensor...