Wrong printer speed
It has been quite some time since I last printed something. I am starting to get back to the printer but am having issues with print speed.
I use Cura as my slicer. Print speed is set at 60 mm/s and first layer speed is set at 30 mm/s. I am currently on layer 7 and DWC still shows requested print speed of 30 mm/s.
The model is fairly large so we are not talking about minimum layer time issues.
I am 99.9% certain that I am doing something stupid but after going over the Cura settings several times, I am unable to see why the speed should be limited to 30 mm/s when the requested speed is 60 mm/s.
I could use a hint on what to check next.
A bit more info:
I printed 10 solid layers at 30 mm/sec. Ony the initial first layer was supposed to print at that speed. When I got to walls to be printed on top of the bottom layer, print speed went up to 50 mm/sec which makes no sense since there is nothing set to 50 mm/sec. At this point I have messed around with Cura for quite a bit and I can no longer be sure what the Cura settings were when I started the print. The estimated print time is still way too high and would imply that the print speed is still too low. The print is almost two days long and I do not want to abort it in order to upload the latest print file from Cura.
deckingman last edited by
@jens55 If you look at the gcode file, you should be able to see what the feedrate is for any particular move. That will tell you if it's a slicer setting. If the actual observed speed is lower than the gcode feedrate, then the issue is with your machine configuration settings. If it's the way it's been sliced, you can always use the speed factor override...
jens55 last edited by jens55
@deckingman thanks! I did twiddle with the speed factor override and that worked fine at the time.
I am pretty sure it is something stupidly simple that I just do not see at the moment even though it more than likely is staring me in the face
To close this thread out, I am now down to an estimated 14 hrs of print time from an initial 39 hours for the particular model at hand. Unfortunately, I changed so many things over the time that I am not able to narrow down exactly where the improvements came from.
Some of the settings that I changed:
I went from 0.15 to 0.2 mm layer height. I had set
I had top and bottom layers set to 4 ... I reduced it to 2
I changed 'gradual infill' to 1, I think it was 2 before.
I reduced the infill percentage from 99 to 40 (most of the infill is on the first 8 layers so this didn't make a lot of difference)
I played with the various print speeds
No individual change made a significant difference, it was more a gradual thing
BTW, I sliced the same model for 3 different printers with three separate sets of Cura settings, some of which had not changed for a long time. Print time was pretty much consistent throughout so it wasn't a screw up in setting up the latest Cura parameters.
I wish I could report a clear fault in my setup but I was unable to find one. I guess that is good in one sense and bad in another ....