@dc42 said in Reduced quality prints from Marlin to Duet 2 Wifi:
Common reasons for poor print quality when changing to a Duet are:
- Printing at different temperatures than before. This can be because a you have set the wrong thermistor in your config.g file, or you were using the wrong thermistor table in Marlin. Either way, the temperature setting that worked well before no longer works well, because the actual temperatures are different.
- Not tuning the bed heater. If you don't tune the bed heater, RRF defaults to using bang-bang control for the bed heat instead of PID. This can give rise to artefacts, typically layers not lining up well.
- Not using the same acceleration, maximum speed or jerk settings in RRF that you used in Marlin. The Marlin settings you were using may be as compiled into the firmware or as written to EEPROM.
- Not using the same motor settings (motor current, and driver mode if applicable).
Gaps in wall suggest that the extruder may be skipping steps. This could be because the extrusion temperature is lower than before, or the extruder motor current is lower.
Thank you @dc42. I've run an M303 tune to my usual temperatures, saving with a M500. I've set the thermister values as recommended by E3D and they report true in config.g.
Bed heating is still on bang-bang, I didn't consider PID as a setting, but they prints adhere very well, perhaps too well. I'll try out other settings.
I've increased the extruder amperage from 0.8A to 1.2A, which is what my X and Y are set to, to see if it helps. Currently I've seen a considerable improvement in past prints, however it's still not great in some areas. I just printed a plant pot and it's night and day compared to my past prints, but you can see despite the perfect looking top layer, there is a gap between the walls and infill on various other parts. I'm currently printing a Benchy to see if I can improve.
Here's some shots of the plant pot, printed in Iron Grey 3D Filaprint PLA, 205/55 temps at 60mm/s.
Inside walls are rough, showing stringing.