Five bar parallel Scara

• @joergs5, Sweet!
    After some battling with the RRF build (the build environment is quite fragile) I got it building and running. It works perfectly fine.
    I never managed to get v3 running properly. After some workarounds with the homing issues I got it moving. But it refused to print any gcode files, it did nothing after starting a gcode file.

• @bondus I will try RRF3 after finishing my printer build. First priority is to build the optical encoders for the endstops with ESP32-CAM (I will use the mechanism for Z axis also), then as stiff arms as possible. I will try dry plain bearings with plastic surfaces at the sliding surface. PTFE (teflon) has lowest friction, nylon a bit worse (but easier to 3D print).

• @JoergS5 slightly offtopic, but: would the optical encoder based endstop also work on a traditional SCARA arm?

• @oliof yes, it will work with all actuators which rotate. The advantage is that the endstop can be approached from both sides and can tell the absolute angle at any time. I will write a documentation for diy steps and software.

• administrators

@joergs5 said in Five bar parallel Scara:

@dc42 @bondus I made a PR #297 now into v2-dev. The files compile ok, the PR should only contain the two files .h and .cpp of the kinematic. Please include into your main RRF. I am sure there are bugs or improvements left, so there will be updates.

v2-dev is no longer used, it was for the initial development of RRF 2.0. The branch used for firmware 2.x is now the dev branch. So that is there your PR should be targeted.

• @dc42 I am confused now. Which branch shall I use for the PR. Or other proposal: I implement it for RRF 3 dev branch and withdraw the PR 297. When you finished your Duet 3, I will be ready for the RRF3 PR.

• administrators

@joergs5, yes a PR for RRF3 on the v3-dev branch would be good, if you have tested it.

• @dc42 I will change to RRF3 and correct the bug we found. Good luck with your Duet 3, I am very curious what it will be like!

• @JoergS5, @dc42. I should give RRF3 another go to get five bar scara going. But me and Eclipse have a decade long battle that never settles.

• @bondus That's good news if you can test RRF3.

I am used to use Eclipse for Java, but I am often confused by the eclipse behaviour. Especially at RRF I am confused by the different setting for the different hardware and the error message that pop up here and there for some .h files not being compilable. I understand why David has it in the code, but my Eclipse tells me about errors, because a grayed file cannot be compiled or found.

I thought about a fork and throw out all those RADDS, Duet 085 and other hardware which is not relevant for my hardware. And I would like to throw out Delta, heatbed calibration code to have the pure logic in the code which I need, and to understand the code. But it's a lot of work, and then I have to synchronize somehow.