RepRapFirmware road map Q1 2021

• administrators

These are our current plans for RRF over the next few months:

RRF 3.2: release candidate 2 appears to be very stable so we plan to release 3.2 final very soon.

RRF 3.3: this is planned to be a short cycle. Work on it has already started. The focus is on making Duet main boards easier to test using our new CAN-based automatic test equipment. As a side-effect of this work, there may be experimental support for using a Duet 3 Mini as a Duet 3 expansion board (see the M954 command), however functionality will probably be limited to driving motors and reading/writing GPIO ports. RRF 3.3 will also increase the maximum number of axes supported to 15, and I expect to provide support for tuning heaters on regular Duet 3 expansion and tool boards. Some other easy-to-implement features may be included. I hope to have a release candidate available by the end of January.

RRF 3.4: the focus of this will be the motion system. We will be looking at input shaping, S-curve acceleration, better cornering algorithms, and other mechanisms to improve print quality. Alongside this we will remove the limitation on using endstops connected to Duet 3 main boards to control motors connected to expansion boards. We expect to start work on this in February. We have a long list of other new features for consideration in this release, including further improvements to the performance of the Duet 3 MB6HC board.

• Duet 3 Mini as a Duet 3 expansion board

This is quite interesting! not sure i follow the limitations howerver - is it essentially the networking, LCD, SBC, etc interfaces that will be unsupported effectively turning it more or less into a sort of Duex 5 for Duet 3 Mini (and presumably for the 6HC) or are there limits with respect to heaters, thermistors, fans etc?

• Nice, thanks for the update. The speed of progress is quite insane, especially given the fact that it is not a team of 50 engineers developing all this.

I will go Duet3 for new stuff anyway, but can you also shed a light on features that will be present or dropped on older-gen hardware?

• @dc42 said in RepRapFirmware road map Q1 2021:
    "These are our current plans for RRF over the next few months:
    ....RRF 3.3: this is planned to be a short cycle. Work on it has already started....
    ....RRF 3.3 will also increase the maximum number of axes supported to 15,....
    ....I hope to have a release candidate available by the end of January....."

Thanks for all your hard work. This news is very welcome.

Regards,

Julian.

• Thank you! Your development is impressive, and this post put even more confidence to your company. I'm so looking forward to RRF3.4!

In the meanwhile, you said about RFF3.3:
    @dc42 said in RepRapFirmware road map Q1 2021:

Some other easy-to-implement features may be included.

May I ask for yet another stop command? (See M112):

"M113: Not Emergency Stop
    Any moves in progress are immediately terminated, honoring de-acceleration parameters. No other effect; motors stay on, heaters stay active etc."

The use case is CNC style jogging using a push button: Button down sends a command to move towards machine limits, button up sends this command to stop the machine.

• @dc42

Will this be implemented in one of the next Firmware?
    Magnetic Compensation

• Thank you for your continued work on improving RepRapFirmware and the entire Duet ecosystem @dc42 🙂

Do variables fall on the roadmap anywhere yet? I know it's possible right now using fake axes / etc, and I don't have a use in mind yet, but I was just curious.

• administrators

@NexxCat said in RepRapFirmware road map Q1 2021:

Do variables fall on the roadmap anywhere yet? I know it's possible right now using fake axes / etc, and I don't have a use in mind yet, but I was just curious.

Variables are a high priority, so they may be included in 3.4.

• Very excited for the motion developments slated for 3.4!

Any chance PA can get some love in 3.3 or 3.4? I'd love to test some of the suggestions I made here, if they are reasonable to implement:

https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/17752/pressure-advance-discussion-for-future-development

• Dear Sirs
    Please explain to me why in the Status section for the Delta printer at the HOME point, the head position X and Y coordinates are 0 and Z is 999.In Delta X,Y,Z are equivalent.
    May be problem in Firmware version?

• @chivel said in RepRapFirmware road map Q1 2021:

Dear Sirs
    Please explain to me why in the Status section for the Delta printer at the HOME point, the head position X and Y coordinates are 0 and Z is 999.In Delta X,Y,Z are equivalent.
    May be problem in Firmware version?

Because on a delta you should always home to X0 Y0 Z(max) as this is the only way the kinematic can know where the nozzle is located I think the main confusion comes from the Towers often labelled as X Y and Z instead of A B and C.

This this subject should not be in this thread it is off topic.

• I'm very much looking forward to the next wave of upgrades on RRF and also physical upgrades to my machine. I'll be selecting https://main.eva-3d.page/ for my carriage, and note that one of the community members has already created a design which includes support for the ADXL sensor, used in input shaping calibration.

If you're not aware of the EVA modular carriage system I'd encourage you to take a look. Like the team here, there is incredible work being done there.

• I was wondering if the experimental M954 command does (or could) work for the 6HC board too? I have a spare one which I would love to use as a 6 drive expansion board.

• administrators

@compatibilizer said in RepRapFirmware road map Q1 2021:

I was wondering if the experimental M954 command does (or could) work for the 6HC board too? I have a spare one which I would love to use as a 6 drive expansion board.

In the latest beta firmware, yes it does.