Duet3 Incorporation with Roll2Roll Manufacturing
Fickert last edited by Fickert
So our development engineer has been tasked with adding a dispenser to our Roll2Roll line. Being experienced with hobbiest motion control outside of PLC he asked for my help. (I am not super familiar with PLC, neither is the engineer, so if were barking up the wrong tree please let us know).
In an essence, we will be adding a dispenser to travel across the Roll2Roll web (web direction will be -X, +X dispenser direction will be -Y, +Y), but we want to be able to link the dispenser speed with the line speed to assure the speed and dispensing rate will be adjusted to speed changes of the Roll2Roll line.
Our initial thoughts are to use Labview, but he is saying the stepper motor control incorporation is difficult to setup. Additionally I introduced a Duet3 into our large testing Cartesian robot so adding another seems tempting after I showed the ease of use and the quality of the board is.
Sorry for the rambling. To summarize, does this seem possible? Requirements we have found are:
- Control a single axis direction with a dispenser (Should work out the same as a CNC motion and spindle speed control for dispensing rate?)
- Take encoder information from Roll2Roll line, and adapt motion speed and dispensing rate.
- Expandable to possibly add an axis for a full X,Y direction.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
@fickert how is the encoder information from the R2R line provided?
Fickert last edited by
@t3p3tony I believe there isn't an encoder on our system as it stands. if it does have one, it is embedded into the PLC system that it runs off of. I assume we'd not want to tap into that.
So which ever type of aftermarket encoder that is best suited with Duet is ultimately what we'd want to link to the speed and dispensing rate.
@fickert I think we need to think about this a bit. To be clear:
- The rate of the "X" axis movement is outside the control of the Duet system, but must be monitored by the Duet system (probably via an encoder) in order to synchronise the Y axis and dispenser?
- The Y axis is under control of the Duet system and moves relative to some gcode input AND the X axis?
- Is the dispenser metered? if so is the Duet controlling the dispensing rate, if so, how?
- A potential future expandability where X speed would be depending on both the R2R "X" movement (not under control of the Duet) and a secondary "X" axis under control of the Duet.
My initial thoughts is this would require a new kinematics as well as supporting the encoder reading. We have a closed loop expansion board that reads an encoder and controls a stepper driver under development however it would need custom firmware to acheive your goals.
Can you let me know how fast the R2R axis moves and how accurate the dispenser positioning would need to be (so we can get an idea of the encoder requirements).
o_lampe last edited by o_lampe
A workaround could be to use a simple microcontroller to read in the encoder signals and send step/dir signals directly to the Y-motor and dispenser drivers based on the encoder information.
I've developed a similar thing, when I prototyped a DC motor controller, that works like a stepper driver. The program runs on a ATtiny44. (much cheaper than a Duet3, but no fancy web-based adjustment)