Mounting a smart effector in larger effector - watercooled

• I'm in the early design phase of a custom delta. Currently I am using FSR's under the bed but considering going smart effector for the new machine. Purely to have the strain based sensor. I want to have my delta arms spaced wider than what the smart effector offers, as well as integrate a direct drive extruder on the effector.
    Is it a bad idea to use the magball holes in the pcb to mount to a larger effector of my own making?

• I've finally come to start designing what I planned. Any thoughts on mounting a Smart Effector in this fashion? It might be interesting to know that the vertical offsets on which the Smart Effector is mounted are there because I plan on using a Super Volcano in the future and this is a nice way to recover some of the lost Z-height.
    0_1564826071561_ab8108df-1e60-4092-bc10-189696471dc1-image.png

• While I can't speak to the smart effector, I do have experiance designing and testing ball cup effectors with the bottom of the effector even with the bottom of the heat sink and the Zesty Nimble on top. Unless that adapter is going to be metal my opinion is it is going to flex too much for good print quality. YMMV

• @alexander-mundy said in Mounting a smart effector in larger effector:

While I can't speak to the smart effector, I do have experiance designing and testing ball cup effectors with the bottom of the effector even with the bottom of the heat sink and the Zesty Nimble on top. Unless that adapter is going to be metal my opinion is it is going to flex too much for good print quality. YMMV

Do you by any chance have some pictures of your designs that you can share? I'd love to see what you have come up with.

• administrators

@nxt-1 said in Mounting a smart effector in larger effector:

I've finally come to start designing what I planned. Any thoughts on mounting a Smart Effector in this fashion? It might be interesting to know that the vertical offsets on which the Smart Effector is mounted are there because I plan on using a Super Volcano in the future and this is a nice way to recover some of the lost Z-height.

That looks entirely workable to me. Note, the Smart Effector relies on nozzle force deforming the flat PCB into the surface of a sphere, with the centre about 0.1mm higher than the edges when it triggers. So your mounting system should not constrain the Smart Effector to remain flat.

• Here is my latest for my 400mm bed delta. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3739808 It is E3D and Nimble specific, but you can see my bracing etc which I went through 4 or 5 iterations before being satisfied. Your design seems workable, however IMO I would fill in the area between the ball mounts and fillet the corners at the base of the uprights. My first attempts also had the ball mounts with a small area like that and minimal bracing between them and they would flex during printing causing slight layer alignment and corner issues. Also, I don't know what material you are going to print it in but if PETG use a good CF PETG, it will flex considerably less than just plain PETG. Again, YMMV so there is only one way to find out.

• @dc42 said in Mounting a smart effector in larger effector:

That looks entirely workable to me. Note, the Smart Effector relies on nozzle force deforming the flat PCB into the surface of a sphere, with the centre about 0.1mm higher than the edges when it triggers. So your mounting system should not constrain the Smart Effector to remain flat.

I assume by not constraining you mean the mount touching the PCB in the strain traces area? I try to touch the PCB and by extent the heatsink as little as possible. There will always be some constraining at the six holes where normally the ball joints would be mounted.

• I'm continuing my design slow but steadily. My fancy for water cooling has finally gotten the better of me and I decided to explore modding a E3D heat sink to be water cooled with off the shelf parts. Below is the first iteration with water cooling in mind. A second version is coming up real soon as the print completes.

0_1566595429422_2019-08-23 23.15.58.jpg

• Here is the updated version, with some guides for the small tubing added. The copper heatblocks are from Alphacool and I have no clue how well they work 🙂 . For now they are just attached with a ziptie. I do have some thermally conductive glue I want to use in the final version.

0_1566631232020_2019-08-23 23.16.12.jpg
    0_1566631236249_2019-08-23 23.16.24.jpg

• I decided to add a printed fitting, to which an extra tube can be mounted. That tube will carry the air from an external pump to the part fan duct. The duct still has to be designed though.

0_1566664500187_2019-08-24 18.22.02.jpg

• administrators

Looking good!

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.