Toolboard extruder issue
janusofdoors last edited by
So I had an issue a few months ago with my toolboard where it suddenly decided it didnt want to extrude properly. This was really never fixed to my satisfaction and I got by with a workaround where I didn't use the toolboard's extruder motor connection and just ran the wires to my Duet 3, which really nullifies much of the usefulness of the toolboard.
I recently updated my board to the newest released firmware(3.2.2) and in the changes I saw CAN diagnostics were further developed. I figured now I might be able to properly diagnose my issue and maybe get it resolved.
A quick recap.
When the extruder motor is wired to the toolboard the extrusion is very uneven and the extruder motor seems to slow down and stop/start as if it were printing a different segment of the print. This leads to some very ugly prints with lots of zits and stringing and over and under extrusion. You can see the previous thread for pictures.
For hardware I have a Duet 3 Mainboard 6HC connected to a Raspberry Pi 4 SBC, a Tool Distribution Board, and a Duet Toolboard, all running on 24 volts(except the Pi of course). The printer is a Core XY with a Hevort XY and a modified HEVO Z axis.
I have tried replacing the extruder motor, replacing the toolboard, adding in the tool distribution board, replacing the CAN wiring between the toolboard and the distribution board, replacing the wiring between the toolboard and the extruder motor.
@Phaedrux has already gone over my config and scripts and didn't find an issue there.
During my most recent print with the extruder motor wired to the toolboard I ran m122 and m122 b21, 21 being the toolboard's address. Here is what I got:
And with the extruder motor running to the mainboard:
I don't know enough about CAN bus to draw conclusions but I did think it was interesting the amount of lost CAN messages when the extruder is wired to the toolboard.
Any help would be appreciated.
@vishiano, we have resolved the issue of lost CAN messages in the 3.3beta firmware. I suggest you upgrade to 3.3beta3 when we release it, which I expect to be next week.
janusofdoors last edited by
@dc42 Is the CAN fix in the most recent beta? If so I'll upgrade now and try it out.
janusofdoors last edited by janusofdoors
Upgraded from 3.2 to 3.3b. Only issue I ran into was the upgrade created a firmware directory but didn't move the firmware files from the sys directory. Pretty easy fix for me to move the files but wanted to make sure you were aware of it.
Update seems to have fixed the issue. I did the same M122, M122 B21 during the print and it shows no lost CAN messages. Doing M122 B21 did hiccup the print but no error message and it was much less noticeable than before. toolboard_good.txt
The print also came out similarly to when the extruder is wired to the mainboard. I was getting worried that the problem was my mainboard, thanks for the help!