Mesh leveling for multiple extruders

• I want to create a mesh for each extruder. I have piezos integrated in each of the 4 extruder mounts, so if either of the 4 nozzles touch the bed, the z-probe triggers. Testing repeatability, it's accurate and responsive, so mechanically and electrically everything works. Can someone suggest a correct way without hacking the init config file (remapping drives and extruders etc) – to create a mesh for each hotened. Presumeably I'd run G32 to use tool 1 to perform the dual lead screw adjustment -- which works fine. Then I've done G29 and able to create mesh for Tool 1, but not sure how to do it for Tool 2 etc.
    I can stipulate the X and Y soft limits for G29 which are accessible by all hotends.

• I fail to see why you want a map for each tool?
    The map would be the same for each tool, the only variance between the tools would be Z height (and eventually X/Y offsets)

• in theory for tool 1 and tool 2 yes – absolutely they're on the same Y gantry, tool 2 and 3 are on their own independent Y gantry, and in theory it should also only vary on Z, but since I have the ability to probe the bed with each tool, I would like to give them their own mesh. I already used the probing capability to figure out the Z offsets, so that's done.

• oh and maybe I wasn't clear, this is a machine with is for 4 independent extruders –

• I don't get it either. The mesh is to compensate for height variations of the print surface so why would you need different amounts of compensation for each extruder?

• I can see setting different Z values based on each extruder but not for bed leveling? A crooked bed is a crooked bed. once you know how to flatten it then all of the extruders should use the same map. Unless the y gantries aren't parallel with each other, in that case I would indicate them in to all be parallel.

• So, don't bother? – use one mesh from any arbitrary tool (tool 1 is easiest) and then just set the Z offset for the rest. I supposes I was trying to get a bit more out of the fact that each tool has a piezo in it

• I stopped using mesh bed leveling long ago, just make sure your bed is flat, the piezo probe will ensure you always have the correct Z-height, the rest should not be needed 🙂

• @whosrdaddy:

I stopped using mesh bed leveling long ago, just make sure your bed is flat, the piezo probe will ensure you always have the correct Z-height, the rest should not be needed 🙂

so what do you do instead for auto bed leveling? G32? I'm using it for lead screw compensation. I'm figuring g29 to create a mesh. It's a large bed 610mm – flat as it gets -- very small sag in the center -- the probe measures 0.1mm diff between center and edges.

• yes only G32, I have a i3 like setup and the 2 screw calibration works flawless in combination with the piezo sensor.
    Whenever I startup the printer I will do a G32 because the motors will be out of sync anyway.
    My first layer is always correct now since I use this feature.
    If you have a flat bed then G29 is really useless…

• @whosrdaddy:

yes only G32, I have a i3 like setup and the 2 screw calibration works flawless in combination with the piezo sensor.
    Whenever I startup the printer I will do a G32 because the motors will be out of sync anyway.
    My first layer is always correct now since I use this feature.
    If you have a flat bed then G29 is really useless…

how many points to do you use for G32 (in bed.g I suppose)

• only 2 as I have 2 leadscrews…

• @whosrdaddy:

only 2 as I have 2 leadscrews…

yea, that's only enough to sync up the lead screws, and that requires manually leveling the bed – sorta defeats the purpose of having a probe IMO.
    I just want to get it close by eye and then let software compensate for the rest

• The probe is needed for accurate leadscrew compensation.
    I do use G29 to check that the bed is leveled, once the bed is leveled you never need to do it again.

• so I guess, manually send the head to different spots and adjust – thought of that, but I basically have it pretty level as is -- but the machine is too big and bed is too big to get it perfect, and I'm after perfect -- I ran G29 on it 2 weeks ago -- and I had the entire bed STD was ~0.2mm -- so I have it close already. I'll try it again tonight now that things are more stable and secure. I now have glass secured to the aluminum, so all mechanicals are done. Time to level and calibrate the extruders for XYZ offsets

• @kazolar:

…................. I now have glass secured to the aluminum, so all mechanicals are done. ..................

Is the glass toughened? I found out the hard way that the toughening process causes the glass to distort so plain float glass is better.

• @deckingman:

@kazolar:

…................. I now have glass secured to the aluminum, so all mechanicals are done. ..................

Is the glass toughened? I found out the hard way that the toughening process causes the glass to distort so plain float glass is better.

I use borosilicate glass with PEI attached on top – never use plain glass on a heated bed, especially this big -- last thing I need is this thing to crack from heat. And it's flat -- absolutely flat, got it direct from the manufacturer who basically invented the process of creating borosilicate sheets -- they made it custom to my spec (if you're in US, they're the place to go for borosilicate glass, not some reseller who gets it from who knows where)

• Lovely discovery yesterday – my Y gantries were not parallel -- out by 5 mm -- took some minor disassembly, and some end stop adjustments but now parallel to as low as my caliper measures.

Looks like your connection to Duet3D was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.