Based on what I've found out so far, the next issue to tackle is the over-extrusion with PA enabled. There's another thread on this which should be tackled before tackling this one: https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/18412/rrf-2-03-pressure-advance-causes-20-overextrusion/109
For consistent extrusion to work, there has to be a decent resolution in the GCode. This increases the over-extrusion from 3% to multiple times more (no fancy tools at hand, but optically it's over 50%, it used to be even worse in older firmwares). That's exactly the problem, is that it's not consistently just 3%. In the other thread it started off with 20% and with various changes it dropped to 3%, but it's just a single print, not a general reading.
@dc42 said in Another crack at extruder problems:
I'm glad to hear that upgrading the firmware to 2.05.1 solved some of the problems.
The extruders run way better indeed, but there's still room for improvement.
Regarding hiccups, please post your config,g file so that we can see whether you are using appropriate microstep settings.
I've followed every single recommendation multiple times already. Increasing E resolution to 64 does next to nothing.
Regarding screw terminals, I'm sorry, we will not revert to them because OEMs absolutely hate them. Connecting wiring looms to screw terminals is an expensive (in time) and error-prone process, and screw terminals can loosen. Crimp connections done properly with an appropriate crimping tool and an appropriate wire gauge are reliable.
It's alright, I've learned to live with it.
Regarding gyroid infill, I note that in a previous thread you seem to think that RRF can't parse the GCodes fast enough in some situations with pressure advance applies, because the print slows down. Does it only slow down when using pressure advance? Using PA causes only a small increase in processor load. OTOH gyroid infill results in lots of very short segments of GCode. We know that in these situations, some slicers fails to maintain a consistent extrusion rate, and that plays havoc with PA. If that's the problem, the fix is for the slicer to maintain a consistent extrusion rate. This may be as simple as adding one more decimal place to the extrusion distance in the GCode. One of our users has already done this in a fork of PrusaSlicer.
Part of changes in that fork are based on my recommendations. I use that fork exclusively since it got available.
The slowdown is the place to analyze the issue, as I believe it's related to over-extrusion. It's a crash/smoke test - just slap an insanely detailed GCode onto the RRF and see what breaks. All of it needs fixing.
I also have my own RRF 2.0 fork where I tried to fix the over-extrusion for my printer and add some experimental features. It might be hard for you to navigate for fixing just this problem, though: https://github.com/mdealer/RepRapFirmware/tree/simple_dynamic_retraction . The issues are not 100.0000000% fixed there, but alleviated to a usable degree on my printer.